Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Observations from a Native on a Snowy Day

Our first big snow has settled across the Mile High City, and my short commute through the winter wonderland this morning (and subsequent time at my desk) left me with a few observations that may or may not be unique to a Colorado Native's perspective:

1. If you have a Texas licence plate on your car, you should probably just stay off the roads if it is snowing. I know, I know, we are always stereotyping folks from Texas up here. But ya know what, it is from experience. If you don't like it, try harder not to live up to it. The things I have seen newbie transplants from the Lone Star State do with their cars in the snow would give my driver's ed instructor a coronary, plain and simple. Don't cry Texas, it goes both ways. You would never catch me trying to navigate my way on or off the interstate using those blasted 4 lane "feeder roads" during rush hour in The Woodlands - I know my limits. Baby steps, grasshoppers, baby steps.

2. Surprisingly, I am WAY more hopeful and excited about the possibility of a snow day now then I EVER was when I was little.

3. College Students negotiating their way through their first winter at school in Colorado, a piece of advice. Snow falling does NOT mean that anywhere you want is a cross walk near campus. Walking out in the road and expecting cars to just stop for you is actually EXTRA stupid when there is a fair chance that car CAN'T stop. Something to think about. Just sayin'...

4. Contrary to what I just heard a co-worker say about flying out in snow, you are not "golden" as long as they don't cancel your flight. Ever driven Pena in a snow storm?

5. Shoveling your driveway in a snow hat, t-shirt, shorts, and Crocs doesn't make you seem manly, just too dumb to come out of the cold. And no one is paying attention to your "gun show" while navigating the icy side street at 7 am either, dude.

6. Most of the folks calling in to say they can't get to the office through the 3 inches of snow will be sitting in traffic on snow packed, icy I-70 towards The Tunnel in an hour. None of them are natives (bet me.)

4 comments:

  1. I'm from AZ and the first year I lived here my car still had AZ plates. It was nice people stayed far far away from me which was good since a) I had no idea what I was doing and b)My ancient Toyota Pick up did not do well in the snow at all.
    d.f

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh boy...saw your blog on Denver Deals. We just moved there from TN about a month ago. I happen to be back in TN today, and my husband keeps saying "you just wouldn't believe it" about the snow. He's pretty confident in his driving skills, but I would not try it! We do get more snow here than TX though! Oh, and I'm flying back tomorrow and probably taking the bus into town...I hope that's not a bad idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anintrovertspeaks, my family had a rear wheel drive ford courier pick up when I was little. We crammed all 4 of us in it one year and drove over Rabbit Ears Pass in whiteout, snowpacked conditions. Luckily I was too young to really get how scared I should have been!
    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lauren S - hope your flight got in ok, the bus ride was aces, and you are home marveling at this snow. Welcome to Colorado!

    ReplyDelete